Saturday, September 1, 2012

Northern Namibia

Hey everyone,

Before I get started, I'm just going to clarify the name change of the blog. In an attempt to be clever, I titled the blog NamEVANibia, meaning Evan in Namibia, literally. Ok, so maybe not that clever, but I've got more important things to think about. Like how the Jets could ever come out of this season with more than five wins.

Also, for all of you wondering how I could ever go a whole season without watching the games, I couldn;t go a whole season without watching and I'm not. Thankfully, the NFL sells international packages online, so I'm going to buy that. And when the internet connection is bad at the house, I'll take the 20 minute taxi ride over to the hilton hotel and watch with their internet. Hopefully Dad's diamond status, or whatever they call it that allows free stuff, can get me something. Additionally, if anyone has any fantasy football questions (Rich, I know you need the help), I'm still answering. Number one tip: Avoid Trent Richardson. He's a third/fourth round back going in the first.

So, to what I'm actually doing here. We had been away for about a week up in Northern Namibia, attending a wedding for one of our professors and exploring Etosha National Park, which is the main wildlife preserve of Namibia. One aspect of Namibia I did not realize was just how large area wise Namibia is. It's approximately half the size of Alaska, which would make it our second biggest state. The drive up north took about eight hours, but it actually wasn't that bad of a drive. The wedding was very different and very similar to American weddings at the same time. The service took place in a local church, with the reception taking place after the service, with a brief break for pictures in between. The service was predominantly done in the native language, whose name I am forgetting right now. For anybody who is familiar with Beth El's second day Rosh Hashanah service, the pastor gave Rabbi Kessler a serious run for his money with regards to the length of his sermon. No matter where you are in the world, there will always be religious leaders who presumably like hear themselves speak. The setup of the reception was also very similar to U.S. weddings, with the many tables covered in decorative (and somewhat unnecesary) centerpieces and napkin foldings. Pretty much all of the extra froo froo stuff that you would find at any wedding.

While there were many similarities, there were also many differences, with the most primary of such being the length of the wedding and the preparation that goes into it. In order to be married, a man does not have to just drop down to one knee and pop the question to the woman then planning for the ceremony begins. (If you think I might be being hetero-normative, it's because I am. Give me a break if you think there is gay marriage in Africa.) He must consult many members of her community, and gain their trust and acceptance. Although it is rare, anybody who has a concern with the marriage can add their input and have it be taken very seriously. So if Great Uncle Charlie finds the color of the tablecloth offensive, it has to be changed. Also, unlike American weddings, there are two receptions, one at each of the communities. Each reception is pretty much the same, but it is a formal acceptance of each member of the marriage into their spouse's respective communities. There is also a long process before everyone enters the main reception. First, the host community has to decide if they want to allow the other spouse's community to enter. It is all done in jest but actually lasts for about 20 minutes. Then gifts are given to the couple by the women of the host community, symbolizing giving her up to her new husband. Among the gifts, their were an incredible amount of woven baskets and clay pots.

Overall, the wedding reception was a really good time. We showed a lot of the kids frisbee and danced with them at the reception. There were times when we could tell we were noticed for our race (there were 11 white people at the wedding, 10 of which were from our program), but everyone seemed to be very welcoming.

After the wedding, we went on a two day trip to Etosha National Park, Namibia's primary wildlife park. Now I'm not usually a big nature person, but seeing all of the animals was pretty amazing. We saw springbok (which were my favorite), zebras, elephants, rhinos, lions, ostriches, kudus, jackals, giraffes, and others I'm forgetting right now. And we saw them by the hundreds. At one point, there were probably around five hundred animals at one watering hole. Definitely a really cool experience.

About now, we're finally getting into the flow of things here in Windhoek, with a weekend off then the beginning of classes next week. On Thursday, we went to a karaoke bar downtown. Not one to brag (well, I kind of am), but my performance of Without Me by Eminem was definitely the best of the night. I had the whole bar up at the stage and random people who I had never met were taking pictures of me. Granted, they were probably taking pictures of the crazy American, but I'll take it. There is a video of it which I hope to get soon.

Talk to everyone soon,



Evan

P.S. A very happy belated birthday to Cat Strada from the good folks at blogspot!




No comments:

Post a Comment